Summaries of Whirl Cup Competition Posts
General Information | Results, Picture Charts, and Tree
The following are summaries of Day One Whirl Cup posts. Additional summaries for the rest of the Days of the Whirl Cup Competition will be available here soon. Each match has a bullet next to it.
Day One - Round One, Block A
Robert watched people register for the Whirl Cup Competition at the Scarlet City Pokemon Center before signing up himself. He was the 32nd person, and thus the last, person to register. After Robert registered, the computer paired up contestants for Round One matches, both Block A and Block B. The contestants went from the Pokemon Center to the Scarlet City Coliseum for the Whirl Cup's Opening Ceremonies, where they were assigned to boats that were led out to the Coliseum's giant Pool. Maya, the Water Pokemon Priestess, initiated the Whirl Cup Competition from her balcony using her blue sapphire Sea Spirit sceptre, then the boats were led back to the mini-harbor within the Coliseum and contestants were ushered to preparation areas.
- Belle watched the First Match between Misty and Roxie. Misty sent out her Corsola and Roxie countered with Shaft, her Quagsire. Since Roxie didn't train her Quagsire in water beforehand, she was unaware that Earthquake would diffuse in the water unless the Pokemon using the attack is holding on to the intended target, and Misty's Corsola managed to defeat the Quagsire. Misty won the match.
- Shortly after the first match, the Second Match was held. Becky faced Violet, one of the four Cerulean Gym Leaders. Violet sent out her Dewgong and Becky sent out Waverider, her Lapras. Becky won the match.
- Although Hokori was supposed to battle Lily next, the half-Sandslash human, concerned he'd get wet, didn't want to walk over to the Pool. A Whirl Cup Guard changed the numbers of the day's matches to give Hokori some time to get his nerve back. Although Belle, who was representing the Cianwood City Gym, was supposed to battle after Hokori, she ended up battling Sissy, the Mikan Gym Leader, in the Third Match. Sissy sent out her Seadra and Belle sent out a Lanturn she had borrowed from Timmy, a fellow Cianwood Gym student. Belle won the match.
- The Fourth Match was rather short. Marvin stepped out onto his platform and put on a small show for the crowd, advertising for his Goldenrod City magic shows. Rudy sent out his Starmie and when Marvin finally sent out his Octillery, the magician's Pokemon was defeated by a single Psychic attack. Rudy won the match. Since he wanted to promote his magic show further, Marvin didn't want to leave the platform. He had to be dragged away from the crowd by Whirl Cup Guards, who kept an eye on him for the remainder of the day.
Later, at night while Marvin slept in the Scarlet City Pokemon Center, Xerox the Ditto woke up and found Mimic losing control of his body outside Marvin's room. She merged with him and battled the Unown within him, eventually rendering You, the U-shaped Unown, unconscious, returning to Mimic control over his body. In the morning, Xerox was unsure whether the battle really happened or was just a dream.
- After Marvin's battle, Mamoru went out to battle Lorelei, a former member of the Elite Four, in the Fifth Match. Mamoru sent out Tide, his Lapras, and Lorelei sent out her Slowbro. During the battle, Lorelei's Slowbro was pummeling Tide since Mamoru was distracted by Lorelei's attributes. Suddenly, Mamoru fell into the water and turned into Yuki. Yuki, not really impressed by Lorelei's features, was able to focus more on the match than Mamoru. Mamoru/Yuki won the match. Yuki was concerned that the Whirl Cup Officials would disqualify her since she wasn't Mamoru, but she saw Jasmine, the Olivine City Gym Leader, in the crowd and she knew Jasmine would help her explain her situation to the officials.
- In the Sixth Match, Blizzard the Persian and Avalance the Tyrannitar launched Sting the Tentacool into the Coliseum's Pool without his consent. Marina, Blizzard's opponent, ranted about Water Pokemon for a while then sent out her Tentacruel to battle Sting. Tentacruel attacked Sting a few times while the Tentacool was Cursing the situation he was in. Since Sting Cursed so many times, his Attack Power rose very much and when he tapped Marina's Tentacruel with one tentacle, the Tentacruel fainted. Blizzard the Persian won the match. Sting showboated for the crowd before leaving the Pool.
- Hokori decided that he didn't want to battle that day, telling the Guard that he might be able to battle on the second day, so the last battle of day one was Robert, the Diversity Gym Leader, versus Christopher of Scarlet City. For this Seventh Match, Christopher sent out his Kingdra and Robert sent out his Slowbro. After many attacks, Slowbro finally downed Christopher's Kingdra, who almost defeated the Slowbro but kept missing towards the end of the match. Robert won the match. Happy he won, Robert jumped up and down, slipped on a puddle, and fell in the pool. Slowbro picked him up out of the water then Robert noticed the crowd was getting angry since their home town favorite lost, so he ran off to his room in the Pokemon Center.
At the Pokemon Center, Robert called Rilli, his girlfriend, to tell her about the match he won. He informed her that a contestant named Tempo got sick and that the Whirl Cup officials were looking for back-up contestants. He went to bed early, wanting to wake up early see all of day two's matches.